Monday, September 7, 2009

Letter 123- September 20, 1944




September 20, 1944
(England)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Just time for a short note tonight. I’ve had a real tough day of sitting on my posterior doing dry runs on rifle practice. If this soft life continues much longer I’ll be even a more confused bum than I am now, if such a thing is possible. It’s funny but the less I do the sooner I want to go to bed at night. Now it’s only 8:20 P.M. and I’m as sleepy as the devil.

The fellow who sleeps under me is from Modesto and this evening we got talking about travelling up the Redwood Highway and up the Columbia River. Oh boy! Does England look sick. Phooey. So far I’ve been to several of the large towns around here. If a plague and a blackout were to descend on Studio City it’d still be 3 times as lively as the largest of these dumps. Oh well, maybe I’m too exacting.

That’s about all I’ve got time now.

Bestus Love,
Bill

2 comments:

  1. To a couple of guys from California England must indeed seem backward.

    Bill and the other GIs must be reading about Operation Market Garden, the attempt to seize the bridge across the Rhine at Arnhem in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wartime England does seem to be a dreary place for Bill. He has plenty of time on his hands to dream of better days motoring up the West Coast of the United States.

    I remember reading about Operation Market Garden in "A Bridge Too Far", by Cornelius Ryan thirty years later. That failed attempt to cross the Rhine was very frustrating for the Allies and delayed the end of the War for some months.

    ReplyDelete

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg