Saturday, February 27, 2010

Letter 190- April 24, 1945


April 24, 1945
(Germany)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Well, I’m back from Paris now. The beautiful interlude is “finis, caput”. Alas, alas. However, I’m in a nice, comfortable and what is more important a safe place and it looks as if I may stay here for quite some time. I know that’ll make you feel better. If feel much better myself. Here I live among the comforts of home—running water, electric lights, radio and the like. Almost as good as Paris. On second thought it couldn’t be that good. First thing you know I’ll be off in a blue daze of shined shoes, clean shave, ties, etc. I’ll be back in the army.

The news sure looks good these days. The armies are moving around so fast that nobody knows what the score is. Unless the Jerries try to make a stand in the Bavarian Alps the thing should be over in a few days or week at the most. I hate to make predictions, however.

The weather here has been beautiful for the last few days; real California weather. I never have seen such bright clear days in Europe. The horizon is even rippling with heat waves.

I received several letters from you yesterday. They were the first ones in about 2 weeks so they really were appreciated.

There’s not much else to say right now so until I work up enough energy to write again…..

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg