Saturday, January 9, 2010

Letter 178- February 15, 1945




February 15, 1945
(France)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

I don’t plan to send this letter V-Mail but it’s all I can find to write on. It’s another lovely day with me in a passably comfortable place. Yesterday I got paid and found out that for this past month I’ve been a Private First Class. Some stuff, huh? At this rate I might make buck sergeant in 30 or 40 years. I don’t think I can wait that long, however. Anyway it means about $4.80 more a month. That’ll help a little. Along with that Combat Infantry pay I’ll be making about $75 a month. Tomorrow, by the way, I’m sending home a money order for $50. That ought to do my account some good. How much have I got now, anyway?

The news of the settlement of the estate back east is being eagerly awaited by me. It sure sounds good to me. Twenty-five thousand of those “greenbacks” would certainly make for post war security in the old homestead, what?

I received 3 letters from you today written between Jan. 20 and Feb. 2 and still you’ve received no mail from me. Circumstances make it impossible for me to write for quite some time but you should be getting mail by now unless something I don’t know about has happened. I know how worried you must be, but there’s nothing I can do about it. I won’t say “C`est la guerre”, however, since that phrase has always seemed rather provoking to me. Someone uses that for an explanation and I feel like slamming the bloke in the kisser.

The news is pretty good these days and I hope it’s better by the time you get this letter. We had an orientation lecture today and the Russians claim their big drive hasn’t even begun yet. Oh boy!
Gotta close.

Best Love,
Bill

2 comments:

  1. $25,000 is an unimaginable sum. Is this the estate of the uncle who passed away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The estate is of Bill's grandfather, my great-grandfather, Herbert L. Taylor. He was a rather prominent attorney in Scranton. I'm not certain about how much Bill's folks received from the estate and it was split among 4 siblings, but I do know that my grandparents always had money and extravagances beyond that of what would be expected of a high school teacher. They did not live like royalty, but I remember that my grandfather would buy a zippy new car every couple of years like a '55 T-Bird. He once bought a "Little Nash Rambler" (Metropolitan) just for kicks.

    ReplyDelete

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg