Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Letter 182- March 6, 1945


March 6, 1945
(France)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Thought I’d knock off a short note to you before lunch. There’s not much to write but I know you want to hear something. I’ve been doing a lot of relaxing for the last couple of days, seen a couple of shows and wandered around in general. Nothing that amounts to much but it suits my mood. Until one gets back to a place like this he doesn’t realize the nervous tension he’s been under. Compared with the rear echelon boys most of us look tense and tired. Didn’t notice it before.

This morning’s paper says that American troops are across the Rhine, and have trapped some 8 divisions or more. I can’t see how they keep going. Well, it shouldn’t last too long unless they all are determined to die for “der Fuhrer”. If so we’ll oblige the S.O.B’s.

I haven’t received any mail from you for about a week now. I hope there’s some at the company when I get back.

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg