Monday, January 25, 2010

Letter 184- March 21, 1945


March 21, 1945
(France)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Well, here it is the first day of spring. The weather is beautiful. For the last week the sun’s been shining bright, clear and warm. Last night it was foggy, but this morning it’s nice again. I haven’t been able to write much lately and you know why. The newspapers make that clear enough. You undoubtedly noticed the condition of the envelope on my last letter. It had gone through a battle and about 5 days inside of my helmet before I was able to mail it. But, as the French say, “Sessti la guirri”. One minute a person is neck deep in this “unpleasantness” and the next he is hardly aware that there’s a war going on. Right now is one of those occasions. Just loaf around all day and sleep twelve to fourteen hours a night (generally no one up here gets more than 4 or 5 hours a night) and three hot meals a day. Of course, it’s hard to say how long it will last but I’m satisfied. I don’t want “an egg in my beer”.

We’re not getting much mail nowadays but it’s understandable. I did receive one letter from you and another from Jess the other day. I had to pull out though and since no one can carry letters, etc., with them when moving I burned them. “Sessti la Guirri” or T.S. as we say in the army. However, Jess said she had sent me a five pound box of candy bars. She asked me in a recent letter what I wanted and I said a few candy bars and she really came through.

Gotta close now—chow!

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg