Friday, March 5, 2010

Letter 193- May 2, 1945


May 2, 1945
(Germany)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Heil Hitler the dog is dead!!! I remember that as being the punchline to a joke and it seems appropriate now. Last night I heard the first announcement of his death over Radio Hamburg. I pride myself that I was able to translate it from the German. “Achtung! Achtung! Unser Furher, Adolf Hetter ist gefallen”. Strange and simple. Twelve years of tyranny gone in a few words. Tonight we understand the old S.O.B. died of a brain hemorrhage. No heroes’ death. Tonight the entire Wehrmacht appears to be dying. All German troops on the Italian Front have just surrendered unconditionally. Three German Field Marshalls, including Von Rundstedt himself, have been captured within the last 48 hours. When you get this letter it will be ancient history but now it’s all too much to take in. The war here must end in a few days at most and then I’ll be “sweating out the C.B.I. (China Burma India). So much has happened recently that it’s just too much.

Well, I haven’t received any mail from you for several days now but I guess we’re using so many trucks for hauling Kraut prisoners to the rear there aren’t any left to carry mail. That’s okay with me. It’s not bad, however, since I’m now in training again—just like the States. Really life is pretty pleasant these days. It’s nice to be a human being once again.

I really don’t know what else to write. I am well. I’ll write a good letter tomorrow.

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg