Thursday, April 8, 2010

Letter 208- July 2, 1945


July 2, 1945
(Nürtigen, Germany)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

“I ya in da depps uv despair”. I haven’t received any mail from you for 4 days. Woe is me. Properly speaking—I don’t like it! I can’t for the life of me figure out how they work this mail; 6 in one day then nothing for 4 days.

This probably won’t be much of a letter because I’m supposed to be paid in a few minutes but I wanted to send you something with the pictures I received today. The prints are not so good in Germany these days but I know you’d like to have them anyway. Most of them were taken in Göppingen last week while I was getting ready to go on guard.

How about a package with candy bars, cookies, etc. I’m horribly hungry these days and packages seem to be coming through in quite a hurry. If the bozo at the post office gives you any trouble tell him I’m a rough, tough guy in the E.T.O. with beaucoup Jerries to my credit. I won’t mind adding one postal clerk to my record when I get home. Mean, ain’t I?

How do you like the Beach Head News or haven’t you received it yet?
Well, gotta go now. I’ll write again tomorrow or on the 4th at least.

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg