Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Letter 163- December 21, 1944


December 21, 1944
(France; V-Mail)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Just a note to let you know I’m still all right. All week we’ve been laying around. Yes, I’ve been lying in a nice wet, cold foxhole. I haven’t mentioned it before but I’ve been at the front for about 20 days now. I’m what is called a Combat Infantryman. You know, one of those guys who wears a badge and gets $70.00 a month. To me that extra $10.00 seems grimly ironic. I’ve not been anywhere I could spend one lousy franc for the last month.

I see where the war news has been rather bad for the last few days. I guess this winter’s going to be pretty rough. Well….


Best Love,
Bill

1 comment:

  1. The bad news that Bill mentions is the Ardennes Counteroffensive, more popularly The Battle of the Bulge. As Bill writes this American troops are surrounded in Bastogne, Belgium. The U.S. press publicizes the seige and the nation hangs on every word.

    Bill is now qualified to wear the Combat Infantryman Badge which required time spent as a foot soldier at the front.

    ReplyDelete

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg