Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Letter 219- July 23, 1945


July 23, 1945
(Derdingen, Germany)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Am I disgusted. This life is sure getting me down. I’m so bored that it hurts. We don’t do anything but guard etc. but there’s nothing to keep a man occupied. August 1 we begin classes and then things should be better but now I’m in a blue funk. Of course it’s better than going to the Pacific, but for a young man just to sit day in and day out is no good. Training certainly isn’t very interesting yet we must do something. I don’t know but in some ways I feel sorry for the army of occupation. The Germans behave themselves well but are “joost” too friendly. They’ll really play up to you as long as you’ve got the guns. We’re too easy on ‘em. I guess we just can’t help it.

The mail situation still stinks but I’m trying to write as much as I can anyway.

It’s now 9:25 in the evening but the sun has only just gone down. At 11:00 I’ve got to go on guard. Two hours just hiking around. During the day we have clothing check and such nonsense and during the last two days we’re been raiding towns for contraband, arms, S.S. men, Gestapo, and so forth. It’s a pain in the neck.

The rumor was rampant today that Russia declared war on Japan. I didn’t think so. The radio said nothing.

Not much else of interest so I’ll close.


Best Love,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg