Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Letter 223- August 2, 1945


August 2, 1945
(Derdingen, Ger.)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

I’ve just finished a letter to you by throwing it into the waste basket. I just can’t seem to write anything decent tonight. Last night it was the same way and likewise the night before. I guess I’m in some sort of a “funk”. Again. It could be the radio blaring a blood and thunder radio story in my ear. I don’t know.

How about a nice package of candy, fruit juice, tuna or the like? I’m so hungry these days it’s horrible. The food here is not too bad but—.

Tomorrow is a big day for the 1st. battalion or “Red Raiders” as we are more commonly known. Tomorrow we get the PRESIDENTIAL CITATION. Naturally we are all pretty proud. As you know it is the highest award a unit can receive. There’s also a rumor that we’re going to get the French “Croix de Foi” for the action at Bitche. At the festivities tomorrow, which by the way last all day, we’re going to have beer and donuts, coffee, wine, snacks etc. I’ve got to close now as one Cecil Moninger is pestering me to go have a beer with him.

They caught me before I was ready in the picture.

How do you like the cake?

OK. I’m coming, Monty!

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg