Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Letter 246- October 9, 1945


October 9, 1945
(Vailhingen, Germany)

Dear Mudder and Dad,

Well, for awhile anyway I’m doing a little work. I’m now on detached service from “A” Company working at bn. HQ. I’m driving for the motor pool. So many drivers are shipping out that they had to call on the line companies for help. I don’t know how long I’ll be here but probably until we clear the area. I’m still with “A” co. officially though and all my mail, passes, etc. go through there. This is pretty easy work but when it gets a little colder we’ll all freeze on the road.

We received it officially last night that the Division would be home by Christmas. That means the sailing has been moved up again. This time we are supposed to sail December 5 so by the 15th we should be in New York. The only thing marring that beautiful picture is the very remote possibility that I might get shipped out of the outfit. I don’t see why I should but I don’t want to be too optimistic. I’ve been in the army too long for that.

It’s nicer here in Vailingen than it is in Derdingen. We live in a house right next to the movie. We have good laundry service. All in all it’s a lot better setup. Another thing is that now I’m in an essential job for battalion and am much more likely to stay with the division no matter what happens. The division is supposed to go home with 45-59 points. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I’ll probably get mail tonight so I’ll have more to write about tomorrow.

Best Love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you receive an error message when posting a comment or preview please hit "Post Comment" or "Preview" a second time and it should go through.--Greg